Thursday, February 2, 2012

Everything they tell you about college is a lie.

In high school they tell you work hard, take these hard classes, get good grades and you'll do good in college.
It's all a lie(except for work hard).
Don't listen.
Taking hard classes and spending endless hours doing homework on paper is not going to prepare you for anything, it'll probably just make things seem pointless in college.
Getting good grades in high school also means nothing in college. It's too different to matter.
Trust me.
I did that, I did all of that.
And I was not prepared at all when I got here.
What you really need to do is:
Worry about doing labs.
Worry about writing papers.
Get good study habits.
Get a grueling sense of determination,
and learn how to sacrifice your time for fun so you can focus on your work.
Learn to learn, not just absorb information, dump it on paper, and forget it.
Take it all in. Form your own opinions about it.
It'll be better for you.
And learn how to do online homework.
That is probably the most important thing I can tell you to do.
Learn how to be on the internet without checking Facebook every five minutes.
Colleges like to go paperless as much as possible.
It keeps professors from having to do as much when grading.
Saves a lot of hassel.
If you miss homework online, you're screwed.
If you don't turn in a paper,
you might die inside when you get your grades.
Miss a lab?
Prepare to see your grade drop several percent.

The moral here:
DO get study habits.
DON'T worry too much about your grades.
DO learn to manage your time.
DON'T temporarily absorb information.
DO learn well.
DON'T worry about taking "hard classes."
DO learn to not screw around on the internet.

And I promise you, you'll be much less stressed, and things will be a little bit easier in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment